Old October 10th 17, 01:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Oxford to London commute

In message , at 12:32:45 on Tue, 10
Oct 2017, GeorgeK remarked:

I am new in here and I would like your opinion and help. I found a job
in London while my wife got a position in Oxford and we were thinking of
living in Oxford as it is slightly cheaper and I would commute daily to
London. By reading other threads it seems that the most convenient way
is to take the train but the annual ticket is ridiculously expensive
(~5000£ !!!!!). The buses is another option but it would also mean that
I will be spending at least 3h commuting. I do have a car and I was
wondering if it is worth driving to 3rd or 4th zone in London to avoid
congestion charges, park at a station and then use the underground to
get to zone 1. Would this be a good idea? Any other reccomendations?

I've been in exactly the same situation (give or take) and you need to
think about several things:

Is the "Oxford night life" something you aspire to (as a potential local
resident), or is that irrelevant.

Commuting the last two miles into Oxford (depending on the exact
location of your wife's employment) is by far the most challenging
exercise here.

When I had to travel regularly from east Oxfordshire to London, the most
sustainable routing was M40/A40 to Ickenham, park, and get the tube.
Next best perhaps transfer at Rickmansworth.

Does your wife drive?

Living in (or using the P&R at) Headington [which I don't regard as "in
Oxford"], might be a useful compromise.

There are many other villages in east Oxfordshire which will have
cheaper housing and viable railheads to London and busheads[1] to
Oxford.

It might even be cheaper to leapfrog Oxford and consider living
somewhere like Didcot and both commute the different distances
eastwards. When I was looking at this (admittedly some time ago) I
favoured Swindon, and colleagues were looking at Hungerford.

[1] Is that even a word.