Old October 24th 17, 10:10 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
[email protected] boltar@cylonHQ.com is offline

Default Paddington C5 program

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 11:01:55 +0100
Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 24/10/2017 09:43, wrote:
A series about Paddington station started last night. They showed video of
the HST derailment there along with recovery efforts which was pretty
interesting and enlightening (especially the poor track workers having to
work in human waste). Apparently the cause was track spread due to rotten
sleepers. You'd think someone might have checked but I guess they didn't

expect
much to happen at 5mph.

Strangely enough it was one of the few bits of TV I've watched recently
and I agree it was pretty interesting.

I do wonder with Paddington (and other covered stations where there will
be no weather to deal with the waste) whether it would be possible to
have installed some form of drainage underneath where the toilets are
when the train stops (I know it's not exact, but some kind of trough in
the rough location with a flushing mechanism could do the job and not
leave it festering).

Or just have the toilets locked out of use at termini.

Or of course retrofit the trains with storage tanks....

That would be the best solution, or at the very least something that captures
the solid waste but lets the fluids out if space is an issue.