Old October 28th 17, 08:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Beck's air map

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 19:06:49 on Sat, 28 Oct 2017, Recliner
remarked:

It seems that even back then, airlines had alliances, but were more
open about code-shared flights than they are today.

https://www.flightstats.com is pretty transparent about codeshares. It
even tells you which company operates the flight (rather than markets
it).

eg: "Operated by (YV) Mesa Airlines on behalf of (AA) American Airlines,
a codeshare flight by the following airlines:
(GF) Gulf Air, (AS) Alaska Airlines, (BA) British Airways"

Yes, you can usually find out, and sometimes the flight number gives it
away, but

The main issue I've had reported to me (Virgin codeshare, at Gatwick
again) is which desk to check in at when the operator and codeshare are
in different terminals.

many pax are still surprised to discover whose metal they'll be
flying on.

More recently on a Delta flight to the USA which turned out to be
operated by AF.

However, the shorter the flight number, the more likely it's not a
codeshare from someone else.