Old December 19th 17, 06:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Clive D.W. Feather Clive D.W. Feather is offline

Default Overhead wire in moorgate line stations

In article ,
writes
Is there nothing that will force a pan drop?

If it rises too high, it will drop automatically.

I don't think there's any stock where the automatic power control
magnets drop the pan - they just trip the main breaker instead.

One Metro-North, for example, the M2 runs dual-mode DC on 3rd rail and
AC under the wire. I assume that the same happens with the newer M8.

As soon as that train's shoes come into contact with live 3rd rail, the
pantographs automatically come down.

What about in the reverse direction? You want the pan to come up while
in the transition area.

The train will not take power,
however, until the engineer sets the power mode switch to the proper
setting.

On 313s there's an alarm that goes off in the cab while the train is
drawing power from the supply that the AC/DC switch doesn't select. But
that's all.

--
Clive D.W. Feather