Old February 19th 18, 04:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Disused platform at South Ken to reopen in 2019

wrote:
In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 13:26:46 +0000, Basil Jet
wrote:

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/201...-south-kensing
ton-tube-station-upgrade/

Thanks for posting that. I hope this time, the scheme does go through.
Ironically, I think both the Picc platforms had step-free access in
their original 1906 version, before the 1970s escalators replaced the
old lifts. And the sub-surface lines had a total of six platforms
until 1957. So the mid/late 20th century 'improvements' in some ways
made the station worse, with less capacity.

The 6 surface lines platforms included 2 bays whose regular passenger use
ceased some time before 1957. I remember the south side east-facing bay only
being used to stable a train on Sundays when I was a child. That was before
the escalator shaft was built through the platform serving that bay and the
westbound District line too. So that's 2 platforms that can't be restored.
The Metropolitan west-facing bay is where the stairs to the Piccadilly
access were built UIVMM, so only the north originally Metropolitan platform
can be restored to use. The article wasn't crystal clear but I guess the
plan is for all eastbound trains to use it with the island only using its
south face in future.

Yes, that's how I read it, too.

That does make me wonder how interchange with the
Piccadilly Line will be arranged to the new platform.

I assume the current underground link corridor would be extended north,
with new stairs to the widened, restored northern platform. So the route
from the Picc would first pass the stairs to the now westbound-only
District platform, and then the new stairs to the restored eastbound
platform.