Old April 5th 18, 11:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Ex-Victoria line unit at Action Town

On 4 Apr 2018 21:43:23 GMT, Marland
wrote:

Recliner wrote:
Marland wrote:
Recliner wrote:
I came across this strange 2-car ex-Victoria Line unit in the siding
at Acton Town today:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157665392527907

I see it's been discussed on District Dave's forum:
http://districtdavesforum.co.uk/thre...emaining-units

Despite the Victoria Line sign in one cab window, it seems they're
actually 72TS, and rather smart. From the discussion, it seems that
these surviving cars don't currently have a use.

Downloaded my online edition of the Railway Magazine last night.
In a very similar photo the unit is described as a tunnel cleaning train
formed of 67and 72 stock.

The District Dave thread says that the tunnel cleaning train has been
cancelled, so the cars are currently without a use.

The RM photos says it was taken on March the 15th so it does seem a long
time for such an asset not too move, as District Dave is largely populated
by LU people I would think they would have the more accurate info.

I think this is another example of TfL's acute budget squeeze.
Presumably the tunnel cleaning train wasn't needed urgently, so it's
been cancelled, or at least deferred. Similarly, the extra Northern
and Jubilee Line trains have been cancelled.

TfL has been caught in a tight squeeze: ridership is unexpectedly
down, and combined with the fares freeze on all TfL services, means
that revenues are falling. The bus hopper fares can't have helped.

At the same time last-minute Crossrail technical problems have
increased the costs of completing it, before any new revenues come in.
And government subsidies for TfL's operations are coming to any end.
So TfL simultaneously has higher costs, lower revenues, and reduced
subsidies.

Things might start betting better once the Elizabeth line opens at the
end of the year (or will the opening be deferred?).