Old April 30th 18, 10:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default New for old Oyster exchange?

Clive Page wrote:
On 27/04/2018 21:58, C wrote:
On Friday, 27 April 2018 21:56:08 UTC+1, C wrote:
That's been kept very quiet.

And the new TfL ticket machines can't give refunds on old Oysters. And
don't forget the deposit for the original purchase of an old Oyster.
These are not refunded either.

WTFs going on?

Aha ...

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...n-oyster-cards

The instructions don't make any sense at all to me. It seems you can
apply on-line for a new card to be posted to you, which takes a couple of
weeks. It isn't clear whether you can continue to use the old one while
you are waiting for it - a rather important point I'd have thought.

Yes, you can have two valid cards on the account, so you can keep using the
old one.

Then it says

Start using your new Oyster card to travel. After 30 minutes, the pay as
you go credit and/or season ticket you transferred will be loaded onto
your card when you touch in or out as part of a journey

If the value hasn't been transferred to the new card before you start
using it, it will surely have a zero balance, so it won't work on entry
will it? So how can you then wait the 30 minutes during your journey to
get the balance automatically transferred? When you are away from any
touch-in points - how can this possibly work?

As the instructions say:

"Get a new Oyster card

When you get a new Oyster card, you need to pay a deposit of £5 and you
must add a minimum amount of pay as you go credit, or a season ticket."

So you will have at lesst £5 credit before using the new card.

It also says (a deal-breaker for me) that it you already have a National
Rail discount on your old card you will need to get it set up again on
the new one. That can take an awful lot of time as it's only done by
suitably clued-up member of their roving staff at an underground station.