Old June 8th 18, 12:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Plan to pedestrianise London's Oxford Street scrapped

On Fri, 8 Jun 2018 09:00:05 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

On Fri, 8 Jun 2018 08:42:31 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
tim... wrote:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...estrianisation
london-sadiq-khan-westminster-council-scrapped-a8388791.html

It's like the abandoned West London tram: the potential benefits to medium
distance travellers are outweighed by the real disbenefits to the locals
who will suffer from the displaced traffic.

That depends if the traffic levels remained the same or whether people who
would have driven find an alternative instead. I was in Nantes last week and
while it was a PITA navigating the car through all the one way systems and
blocked off roads in the centre, once you were on foot it was very pleasent
with the pedestrianised and restricted streets with just trams and buses
passing by and not much other traffic apart from occasional delivery vehicles.
People adapt.

I suppose it's the usual thing: those who will (or think they will) be
adversely affected know who they are in advance, and complain loudly.
Those who may in the future benefit from the change don't know they
might, and don't applaud loudly. In particular, future tourists don't
get a vote.