If Bombardier don't get type approval for the 710s quickly then the GOBLIN =
will end up with no trains at all as all of the 172s transfer to West Midla=
nds Trains in the Autumn (Nov) to allow an enhanced timetable from Dec 2018=
.. They have 4 months to get trains approved and route cleared, fault free m=
ileage accumulated, delivered, commissioned for passenger use, drivers trai=
ned and into service. I'd say that is now beginning to look very difficult=
indeed.

Given this electrification had been on the cards for a long time, why didn't
TfL just order a few more 378s back in the day?

I think Bombardier had withdrawn the Electrostar range of EMUs so didn't offer them. The 379 / 387s for Gtr Anglia / C2C / GWR were the last examples of that family. The Aventra is the new modular design. The 345s for Crossrail use an adapted Train Management System and software from the Electrostar which is how they've got into service. The 710's TMS is brand new and it is believed the software development has been very problematic indeed. I've seen no more info than that - no idea if Bombardier have fixed the issues or whether it is far from resolution.

The other problem is that the TfL priority is getting the 345s to work properly because Crossrail is the priority. Multiple sets are undergoing signalling and software testing at Asfordby test track. This has caused a shortage of testing capacity in the UK which is why one class 710 was sent by road to France for testing. It will also be placing a further strain on Bombardier's software resources if class 345s need revised software to work with the multiple signal systems that apply on Crossrail.

Something has to give very soon because you can't keep prioritising Crossrail if it means a newly electrified line can't use electric trains *and* it may also lose its existing diesel trains. That is the sort of farce that is almost up there with the utter, utter shambles that is Thameslink / Great Northern.

--
Paul C
via Google