Old July 3rd 18, 03:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] boltar@cylonHQ.com is offline

Default First LO Aventra on display

On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 06:35:17 -0700 (PDT)
Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tuesday, 3 July 2018 12:54:26 UTC+1, wrote:
On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 04:18:58 -0700 (PDT)
Paul Corfield wrote:
If Bombardier don't get type approval for the 710s quickly then the GOBL=

IN =3D
will end up with no trains at all as all of the 172s transfer to West Mi=

dla=3D
nds Trains in the Autumn (Nov) to allow an enhanced timetable from Dec 2=

018=3D
.. They have 4 months to get trains approved and route cleared, fault fr=

ee m=3D
ileage accumulated, delivered, commissioned for passenger use, drivers t=

rai=3D
ned and into service. I'd say that is now beginning to look very diffic=

ult=3D
indeed.

=20
Given this electrification had been on the cards for a long time, why did=

n't
TfL just order a few more 378s back in the day?

I think Bombardier had withdrawn the Electrostar range of EMUs so didn't of=
fer them. The 379 / 387s for Gtr Anglia / C2C / GWR were the last examples =

Sure, but I was thinking when they ordered the 378s for the overground why
didn't they just add 4 or 5 on top for the goblin?

of that family. The Aventra is the new modular design. The 345s for Crossra=
il use an adapted Train Management System and software from the Electrostar=
which is how they've got into service. The 710's TMS is brand new and it i=
s believed the software development has been very problematic indeed. I've =
seen no more info than that - no idea if Bombardier have fixed the issues o=
r whether it is far from resolution.

You have to wonder why they didn't just make a joint order with thameslink for
some 700s.

As an aside, anyone know why some of these new stocks are numbered in the 7xx
range instead of 3xx?

Something has to give very soon because you can't keep prioritising Crossra=
il if it means a newly electrified line can't use electric trains *and* it =
may also lose its existing diesel trains. That is the sort of farce that is=
almost up there with the utter, utter shambles that is Thameslink / Great =
Northern.

Can't they find some spare 378s and run them on the goblin or is there some
reason they're not suitable?