Old July 23rd 18, 04:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Goblin latest

wrote:
It's a foot tunnel. I've never heard of a foot ferry in Woolwich.
Pedestrians are of course allowed on the car ferry.

There used to also be a railway-operated ferry at North Woolwich, the
burned out remains of the pier which it once served were still there a
few years ago and may still be there now, I haven’t been there recently.
It was killed off many decades ago by the mearby free ferry and foot
tunnel. I think it may have been around First World War time, but I’m not sure.

The ECR ferry service ceased in 1908, but the skeleton of the northern pier
(entirely disused since WW2) was still there three years ago when I took
this pictu
https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/16953302021/in/album-72157651196745800/