Old July 25th 18, 08:01 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Crossrail GBP590m over budget

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 06:59:20 on Wed, 25 Jul 2018,
Recliner remarked:
Basil Jet wrote:

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/c...srail/crossrai
l-breaks-budget-by-590m/10033487.article

No surprise that the rumours of overspends are true, but it's interesting
that the final spend will actually be below the original budget:

Is it being built to the original spec, though?

I'm not aware of anything that's been dropped or cut back. And the route
has been extended, from Maidenhead to Reading.

As an aside, although I'll be a beneficiary of the generosity, I can't see
a good reason for London Freedom Pass holders to get free travel all the
way to Reading. It seems to be an unnecessary give-away.

Crossrail will come in £590m over its original £14.8bn budget, the
government has confirmed.

The first budget agreed for the Crossrail scheme was set at £15.9bn back in
2007.

Following a Comprehensive Spending Review in 2010, this was reduced to
£14.8bn. Of this spend, Crossrail is responsible for £12.5bn of works,
while Network Rail is responsible for £2.3bn