Old July 25th 18, 09:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Crossrail GBP590m over budget

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:01:39 on Wed, 25 Jul
2018, Recliner remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 06:59:20 on Wed, 25 Jul 2018,
Recliner remarked:
Basil Jet wrote:

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/c...srail/crossrai
l-breaks-budget-by-590m/10033487.article

No surprise that the rumours of overspends are true, but it's interesting
that the final spend will actually be below the original budget:

Is it being built to the original spec, though?

I'm not aware of anything that's been dropped or cut back.

Toilets at all the core stations (except Bond Street which never was
planned to have them for some reason). I expect there are many other
"cost cutting" reductions in the spec at stations through the core as
well.

And the route has been extended, from Maidenhead to Reading.

As an aside, although I'll be a beneficiary of the generosity, I can't see
a good reason for London Freedom Pass holders to get free travel all the
way to Reading. It seems to be an unnecessary give-away.

Wouldn't that have to be paid for by the non-London LAs en-route?

Is it possible to use a Freedom pass to Brentwood and Shenfield,
currently? (I'm not following those nuances at the moment).

Yup, Freedom Passes are valid on TfL Rail trains only to Shenfield. It's
similar to the situation at Watford Junction, to which Freedom Passes are
valid on LO services only.