Old August 20th 18, 10:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
D A Stocks[_2_] D A Stocks[_2_] is offline

Default Pointless messages on electronic platform boards

wrote in message news
Last night I was waiting for a GN train northbound at H&I. Train turned up
but the information board was telling me about problems on gatwick
express,
as if anyone going north on GN will be heading for gatwick! Then it went
on
to mention problems on the tube. Fantastic. I didn't know if the Stevenage
train in front of me would be stopping at my station (it normally
doesn't),
but by the time the board got around to mentioning that yes it actually
would the bloody doors had closed.

I can't imagine it would be too hard for the people who program these
systems
to do so, so that if the indicated train is due then only to display
stops,
not some pointless info that no one gives a rats arse about.

I think it was some time last year I turned up at Gatwick to find the
platform display telling everyone about the "next train", complete with a
slowly scrolling list of destinations that didn't allow any space for
details of any subsequent services running from that platform. This "next
train" was a) timetabled to depart about an hour previously and b) had been
cancelled. It was just as bad upstairs on the main cocncourse where the
displays were full of details of the last two hours of cancellations with
nothing telling anyone what was actually running.

I almost literally grabbed a fairly senior looking member of staff and asked
him WTF he doing allowing such a situation to persist for so long. To his
credit he scuttled away and got the offending items removed fairly quickly.

--
DAS