Old October 12th 18, 07:27 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
tim... tim... is offline

Default Trams from South Wimbledon to Sutton

"Basil Jet" wrote in message
news

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/trams/the-future-of-trams

"Since 2000, we have seen the number of passengers on trams increase from 14
million to 32 million passengers in 2015. Passenger numbers are expected to
reach nearly 60 million by 2030.

We need to upgrade the trams network to accommodate this growth"

Um, how does building a new line to serve a new area create extra capacity
to accommodate growth on the current network?

and then there's

"The second phase would unlock the potential of the Wandle Valley and St
Helier areas for housing,"

Um, what part of these areas that is not already built on do they think has
not been deliberately left as open space for leisure purposes?

Perhaps they think that there should be a new estate on Morden Hall park. I
doubt that the National Trust would agree with that idea

and if we are going to build on this green space, there isn't a need for a
new transport link to accommodate it.

Though it's great to see the line being used extensively

I had 30 years growing up with a local station that got a next to useless
service and consequently whenever you did go and use it it had little more
than a dozen passengers.

and now it's got full [1] trains running every 5 minutes for 18 hours of the
day.

There must be a lesson here that can be learnt for (some) other Cinderella
services.

[1] OK I concede that when I last used it - at 8:30 on a Saturday morning,
there was just me and the station cat.