Old November 1st 18, 11:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Someone Somewhere Someone Somewhere is offline

Default City plans to trial petrol and diesel ban

On 01/11/2018 10:14, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:54:43 on Thu, 1 Nov 2018,
Graeme Wall remarked:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/p...ing-ban-in-cit
y-83t0f8zdt?shareToken=35a3d7d1a37b3103d0034424e71ee a77

Good luck with that one.Â* Are there enough low emission buses, taxis,
delivery vehicles, and so on to make it even remotely practical?

That was my first thought (and similar to earlier discussions about
similar zones in Central Oxford).

We have to assume that public sector vehicles (not just emergency ones,
but waste/litter collection, fixing streetlights, etc) will be exempt?

That just leaves similar vehicles operating in the private sector.
Hybrid Openreach and builders' vans, anyone?

[To be fair, BT claim to have been testing some low emissions vans for a
Â*year now, but they would say that, wouldn't they]

The problem is for those of us who live just outside (in my case East)
of the City and have to transit it as part of the beginning of a longer
journey (which is not reasonably possible to complete on public
transport - for example I have family in rural areas on the
England/Wales borders).

Yes, the inner ringroad can be followed, but given the woeful state of
traffic in London, any further limitations of options could cause utter
chaos in the case of a single breakdown or accident.

What we need to prevent is regular journeys, not all journeys - that
would also cover emergency vehicles, people having to fix things and so
on, but not daily deliveries or commuting to work.