Old November 2nd 18, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default City plans to trial petrol and diesel ban

John Williamson wrote:
On 02/11/2018 14:09, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:33:29 on Fri, 2 Nov
2018, John Williamson remarked:

Set the penalty at a bit more than it would cost to divert round the
restriction.

How do you measure such a cost? Just extra miles (and hence gallons) of
driving polluting people living further out, or does my time have a
value too?

Like all such things, the answer will be a fudge based on wage levels
and fuel costs.

Call it twenty quid a trip as a starter, and if that doesn't put enough
off, then increase it. It's a penalty to discourage people, not a carrot
to entice people to update their transport.

My time as a semi-retired person, is probably worth less than someone
with an urgent appointment in Central London.

If I had an urgent appointment in Central London, I'd either use public
transport or a pushbike, as they are the fastest ways to get round the
City. By about 2030, all buses will be electric, as will most cabs. Uber
and other private hire drivers will have to make up their minds whether
they want to upgrade their cars or refuse trips.

Uber are raising fares, to provide drivers with the funds to upgrade to
PHEVs.