Old January 18th 19, 04:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Optimist[_2_] Optimist[_2_] is offline

Default City plans to trial petrol and diesel ban

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 12:22:33 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 12:06:37 -0000
"tim..." wrote:
"John Williamson" wrote in message
If I had an urgent appointment in Central London, I'd either use public
transport or a pushbike, as they are the fastest ways to get round the
City. By about 2030, all buses will be electric, as will most cabs.

the problem is that this, and similar bans in other cities, aren't being
proposed for 2030

they are being proposed for 2020

I'd love to see an electric bus that can make it up highgate or hampstead or
muswell hill more than 2 or 3 times before requiring a recharge being
available by 2020. Its one thing running electric buses in nice flat areas
such as southwark as is currently done, its quite another running them up
1:10 hills.

As a kid I used the 654 trolley bus route which ran between Croydon and Crystal Palace. They
handled the climb up Anerley Hill with ease. Then they were replaced by motor buses, which on the
first day could not get up the hill.