Old February 8th 19, 08:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Anna Noyd-Dryver Anna Noyd-Dryver is offline

Default DfT favours battery trams

Clank wrote:

On the other hand... What's wrong with trolley poles? They seem pretty
reliable even in inclement weather*. On a tram, where the poles wouldn't
even have to deal with the vehicle moving all over the road to overtake
etc., I don't see any reason why they should be particularly problematic.

More prone to dewirement, particularly as speed increases. Junction
'pointwork' more complicated and prone to failure. More maintenance
required too, I think. Need changing over at every terminus.

Anna Noyd-Dryver