Old February 10th 19, 02:24 PM
Robin9 Robin9 is offline
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London
Default Uber Representative Calls For A United Protest

The Uber representative of the GMB Union has sent out
a message, calling on GMB members to protest against
the change in minicab (PHV) drivers' status regarding
the congestion charge:

You will know that Transport for London is imposing the Congestion Charge on you and all licenced private hire drivers from the 8 April 2019. This charge imposes a heavy burden on drivers, in addition to other costs we face such as the cost or rental of vehicle; high insurance; heavy maintenance and running costs; etc. The GMB have protested against these charges, see https://bit.ly/2UjsZ2t, and have made representations to TfL and the Mayor. They have not responded.

To show our opposition to TfL’s proposals we are joining the Monday demonstrations and are asking you to show your disapproval of the Mayor’s unjust actions. The details a -

Monday 11th February, from 4 to 6 pm, at London Bridge

We need to show our solidarity and unity. Banners and placards will be available. Contact Dennis on for further details.

Pass this information onto other private hire drivers; bring your friends and family. If this action goes through it will kill the private hire profession in London.

Kind regards

Dennis Bartholomew
UBER Representative
Professional Drivers G56
When Ken Livingstone first planned the fraudulently
named congestion charge, minicab drivers were going to
pay. He soon realised that the charge would be passed on
to customers and he decided to exempt minicab drivers.

Our new Mayor, strapped for cash partly through his own
doing, has decided minicab drivers will now have to pay.

I'm not sure what to make of the fact that this call to arms
comes not from the GMB itself but from a Uber representative.

Last edited by Robin9 : February 10th 19 at 02:30 PM