Old February 18th 19, 11:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] blt_agdfa@6yiy8ir3ddpceba8.org is offline

Default Uber Representative Calls For A United Protest

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 12:17:40 +0000
David Cantrell wrote:
On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 12:56:26PM +0000, wrote:

I realise trucks are built to last a lot longer than cars, but even so,

surely
a 15 year old truck is going to be pretty heavy on maintenance costs?

A car that is actually looked after doesn't have significantly higher
maintenance costs in year 15 than in year 5. I ASSume that the same
applies to larger vehicles. Whether the cost of that maintenance from
the beginning of its life is worthwhile is a different kettle of fish.
For all I know it might be cheaper to just run a lorry into the ground
every few years and buy new.

Some trucks go through quite a beating, especially tipper trucks. Even with
good maintenance you're going to get some sort of major failure at some point
just because of wear and tear on the materials they're made from.