View Single Post
  #9   Report Post  
Old March 15th 19, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Basil Jet[_4_] Basil Jet[_4_] is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,160
Default ?Q?Re=3a_Almost_Terminal=3a_Marylebone=e2=80=99s_ Brush_With_?=?Q?Destruction?=

On 15/03/2019 06:54, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 22:10:56 on Thu, 14 Mar
2019, Basil Jet remarked:
Thanks. What I meant to ask was were any canals planned to use
pumps, as opposed to having pumps retro-fitted when water supply
disappointed.
From wikipedia, re K&A:
"The canal opened in 1810 after 16 years of construction. Major
structures included the Dundas and Avoncliff aqueducts, the Bruce
Tunnel under Savernake Forest, and the pumping stations at Claverton
and Crofton, needed to overcome water supply problems."


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claverton_Pumping_Station

"The pumping station was built between 1809 and 1813 to overcome water
supply problems"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crofton_Pumping_Station

"It contains an operational Boulton & Watt steam engine dating from 1812"


But you've overlooked:

The pumping station was built between 1807 and 1809 in time for
the opening of the canal in 1810.

So they both seem to have been afterthoughts whose construction started
around or after the canal opening.


https://www.croftonbeamengines.org/our-history/

The first design of the Kennet & Avon canal by the distinguished
Scottish civil engineer, John Rennie, called for a 4.5 km (2.5
mile) tunnel between the Wiltshire villages of Crofton and
Burbage but, in those days, tunnelling was a very expensive and
uncertain process and a cheaper alternative was sought.

This involved raising the summit level of the canal and
constructing a much shorter tunnel. However, this new summit was
12 m (40 ft) higher than any reliable local, natural water
source and so a pumping station was needed at Crofton to keep it
topped-up. Crofton Pumping Station was built in 1807 and started
work soon after.

The first engine installed in the Engine House at Crofton was a
second hand Boulton and Watt, purchased in 1802 from the West
India Dock Company. This engine had a 90 cm (36 inch) diameter
steam piston and a 2.5 m (8 foot) stroke. It had a wooden beam
and worked a 66 cm (26 inch) diameter lift pump. It arrived at
Crofton in 1807, and was at work by 1809.

The Engine House was designed to accommodate two engines and a
second Boulton and Watt was ordered in 1810 and was installed
and working by 1812...

The water usage of a canal depends on how often the locks are operated,
so maybe the canal was planned to have less traffic than ended up using
it.


Or, as it turns out, not.


Thanks.

--
Basil Jet - Current favourite song...
Spratleys Japs - Hands (Marc Riley session)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTFmVrE1WAc