Old March 28th 19, 10:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Anna Noyd-Dryver Anna Noyd-Dryver is offline

Default Passengers on the line at Leiwsham - RAIB report

Christopher A. Lee wrote:
On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 07:12:33 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 23:24:39 on
Tue, 26 Mar 2019, Charles Ellson remarked:

I think the train behind is then instructed to proceed slowly and couple to
the stalled train ahead.

Alternatively, it can be instructed to reverse to the previous station.

Not normally done on LU AFAIAA

I'd ask Recliner if he's ever seen a report of the activity he describes
taking place.

My old man worked on the Met, rising via yard manager at Neasden and
station master, to becoming an area manager.

He told the story or some bright young manager ordering an 8-car train
of A-stock to couple up behind another 8-car train that had failed.
Making it too long for a short section - the average block length is
about 300 metres so some are shorter, and a 16-car A-stock train would
be 256.

So it would occupy three blocks at a time.

I have no idea how it was sorted out.

Why would that be a problem, other than at the terminus? Presumably they
were only going to run to the next station with passengers on and then
detrain, then run empty to a siding or depot.

Anna Noyd-Dryver