Old June 2nd 19, 08:11 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
[email protected] boltar@nowhere.co.uk is offline

Default class 710 first day

On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 10:53:05 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
TimB wrote:
On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 11:06:35 AM UTC+1, Recliner wrote:
Mike Bristow wrote:
["Followup-To:" header set to uk.transport.london.]
In article ,
wrote:
On Tue, 28 May 2019 13:56:28 +0100
Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
Recliner wrote:
I'm curious why only two 710s were introduced yesterday. There are

several
more sitting in Willesden, and there's been ample time to update their
software. Could it be that not enough drivers have qualified on them

yet?

Lack of driver training is the reason I heard. It suprises me, as
with only 6 trains required for the service, I'd expect you to need
no more than 30 drivers trained on the new trains - and Geoff's 710
intro video said that there were 70 drivers trained.

Are these drivers driving 378s on the NLL in the interim or are they

being paid
to just sit at home and watch Cash in the Attic like the crossrail ones?

They cover the NLL too, according to the video.

Having now watched Geoff's video, I was surprised just how many drivers
need to be trained in order to operate the six 710 diagrams.

Not just for the Goblin.

The six diagrams are just for the Goblin. The 710s aren't being deployed to
other lines until the Goblin is fully switched over to 710s.

Basically, the Goblin doesn't have its own driver pool, so all the hundreds
of Stratford drivers need to be trained on 710s, which takes quite a while,
even running three courses a day, seven days a week.

Seems a bit excessive. Surely they could just select a subsection of them
to train on the 710s.