Old June 24th 19, 09:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default District 150

In message , at 16:33:59 on Mon, 24 Jun
2019, Recliner remarked:

It was OK, but I didn't ultimately feel it was value for money. Given
the number of opportunities to get close-up afforded to the general
public, it would have been almost as good to just go and look. See that
Youtube video I found and posted.

Yes, that's the trouble with steam specials: the paying passengers don't
get nearly as good a view as the spectators.

This trip was a bit different, especially for spectators. Going
backwards and forwards over a short route and with numerous station
platforms. But it was also notable how many people in houses and their
gardens, and open spaces, that we passed were also filming and waving.

I've also videoed several mainline steam tours as a spectator, and it's
unusual to get more than a few seconds from a nearby field, road, or
whatever.

Not compared to a railtour brochure that arrived here today for a trip
from Ely to Bristol, via Leicester (and back), at £80. Only diesel
hauled though, but similar prices available for steam tours.

Steam hauled is usually a lot more expensive, I thought? But I don't do
very much main line steam in the UK.

They all seem to start at £80. That's the cheap seats in the other half
of the buffet car, usually.