Old July 1st 19, 12:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Cockfosters depot WW2 pillbox

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 01:38:13PM +0100, Basil Jet wrote:

I've always wondered if there is any advantage in having a multi-track
bridge as opposed to several single track bridges with inch gaps between
them. You'd think narrow bridges would be preferable with respect to
maintenance, and also preferable in most conceivable catastrophes, but
one wide bridge seems to be the usual choice.

I would expect one wide bridge to do a better job of distributing load.

Here http://www.semgonline.com/RlyMag/ReconstructionOfGrosvenorBridge.pdf
is a non-technical article about how the current bridge(s) was built.

If you can get access then there are a lot more details he
https://www.icevirtuallibrary.com/doi/10.1680/iicep.1967.8471

engineer: n. one who, regardless of how much effort he puts in
to a job, will never satisfy either the suits or the scientists