Old July 3rd 19, 08:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default London pollution monitoring

In message , at 19:38:06 on Tue, 2 Jul 2019,
Recliner remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:32:11 on Tue, 2 Jul 2019,
Recliner remarked:

If applying a parking brake halves that issue in many cases then it is well
worth while doing, isn’t just a case of pressing a button or
switch on many
vehicles now? Don’t even have to physically pull a lever on those.

Yup, on my car it's just a little lever, but you never have to use
it — the
car does it itself. Put the car into Park and it applies both the parking
and the transmission brakes. Put it into R or D and it releases the parking
brake automatically.

You don't drive a high-volume car. The whole Jaguar range is 1.2% and
falling.

Sure, but my X350 model was first introduced back in 2003. That level of
tech may have been considered high-end and exotic back then, but it's
trickled down to volume cars since then. For example, the automatic
headlights and wipers in that car were fairly rare then, but are common
now. My car doesn't have auto-dipping LED headlights, but many modern cars
do. And voice control was rare then, but is much more common, and better,
in current cars.

I sincerely hope that less of this technology gets into cars, because
it's OK when it works, and disastrous when it doesn't.

I had to help someone with a Honda Jazz which we couldn't get out of the
garage to jump-start, because without battery charge it was impossible
to release the automatic parking brake.