Old July 3rd 19, 10:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london
tim... tim... is offline

Default London pollution monitoring

"Marland" wrote in message
ŴRoland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:00:34 on Tue, 2 Jul
2019, Marland remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:44:01 on Mon, 1 Jul
2019,
tim... remarked:
I hope it would be a driving test failure not to have any brake
on.

and who drives as per the test 40 years later?

In an important safety matter such as this?

on the one in a million chance I'm going to be rear ended

get real

Presumably you dislike seatbelts and air bags, because they are for
one-in-a-million trips as well?

there are far more situations where these will be useful than the
subject under discussion

and it wasn't a million to one trips

it was a million to one stops

I suspect that there are a million seconds in the year when I might be
hit whilst moving, whereas a million incidents of stopping at a line
takes a lifetime (more or less)

We'll have to agree to disagree about your risk analysis.

Even with the handbrake on I got rammed hard enough to also incur damage
between the vehicle I was in and to the one in front.

With the handbrake off, and the car merely in neutral, much worse I
expect.

If applying a parking brake halves that issue in many cases then it is
well
worth while doing, isn’t just a case of pressing a button or switch on
many
vehicles now? Don’t even have to physically pull a lever on those.

FSVO "many". I've yet to sit in or drive such a car.

I haven’t driven one, but sat in a couple and one van. The trickledown
down
from top end market to more everyday cars seems to be happening quite
fast,
one of the cars was a Vauxhall Astra about 3 years old and the other a
Volkswagen Golf now about 5 years old and more typical,of what many
people
drive than a Range Rover or top end Mercedes . The van was a well specced
Ford Transit about six months old.
I would not be surprised if they will rapidly become more common as models
come up for replacement or revamp as getting rid of a big mechanical lever
in favour of a discreet button or flap switch gives designers the chance
make the interior look a little tidier ,spacious or room for another cup
holder.

some years ago I bought a 10 YO Fiesta Ghia

It was less well speced than the then-current GL model

but because it was a "Ghia" was in a higher insurance group

tim

GH