Old September 10th 19, 01:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_4_] Recliner[_4_] is offline

Default Electric Shapps

On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 10:54:53 +0100, David Cantrell
wrote:

On Mon, Sep 09, 2019 at 10:40:06PM +0100, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 09/09/2019 14:58, David Walters wrote:
There are lots of people who can't easily have an electric car, they
include my parents who live in a street of Victorian terraces with
narrow pavement. However I think more than half the population could
charge at home.

So what do the other half do..? We live in a flat with only on-street
parking available. To rip up the streets to install kerbside charging
points would not be cost effective - the existing cabling would not
stand the load on the system of everyone in the street with a car all
coming home from work at 6pm and plugging in.

The existing electrical distribution system (it's more than just the
cables) wouldn't stand up to a street full of chargers on private land
either.

True

I've said it before, the way forward is hydrogen. It takes no longer to
fill up than a petrol car and although it may not be as economical, it
would be far easier to install pumps at existing petrol stations than
charging points everywhere.

Hydrogen is an absolute bugger to store and transport and has some
rather serious safety issues. It also has a lot lower lower energy
density than petrol or diesel.

Yes, most alternate fuels do, including batteries.

The ideal solution would be some new synthetic liquid fuel, with a
similar energy density to petrol, that could be produced and burnt
cleanly. I'm sure a lot of labs are researching such fuels, but they
won't be along for quite a while.