Old September 14th 19, 12:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Distances from London

In message , at 10:16:13 on Sat, 14 Sep
2019, D A Stocks remarked:
"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 20:50:20 on Fri, 13 Sep
2019, Basil Jet remarked:
My recollection is that there were a surprisingly large number of
them,
indeed you might even be able to get a custom one. I wonder what
process
they used to produce them?

The ones I remember are the ones we used to order before going on
holiday in a new area.

Send them the required start and finish points, and you got a
booklet of strip maps, sort of like the ones that Autoroute could
be told to print out in its early days. They had written
directions on them as well.

I think they were produced by using a standard set of route
segments, assembled by hand.

Checks Blimey,they still offer the service,but it's on line now.

Nowadays, you can print the text route (Including the signs to
follow at major junctions) yourself with an option to print a map
of any confusing sections.

https://www.theaa.com/route-planner/route
https://www.theaa.com/about-us/aa-hi...eline#aaroutes

Thanks, the pertinent bit is lower down at
https://www.theaa.com/about-us/aa-hi...e#routesgrowth

The maps were called "Throughroutes", and there were about 50 of them.

Where were the ones starting in London originated from?

I have an ancient AA Road Book ("second post-war edition") with maps
and desriptions of these routes. For anywhere outside the London area
"London" is always Hyde Park Corner. However, the descriptions include
routes from Kew Bridge, London Bridge, Blackwall Tunnel and Woolwich
Ferry. There is also a table of distances in the back, which are all
from Charing Cross.

Thanks for that. Sounds like it was produced in the transitional phase
where the various peripheral gateways were being consolidated onto
Trafalgar Square.

(I presume they didn't mean Charing Cross Station, or the replica Cross
in its forecourt).