Old September 23rd 19, 05:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Someone Somewhere Someone Somewhere is offline

Default Heathrow CC

On 23/09/2019 17:01, Recliner wrote:

But moving the aircraft to and from the remote stands costs money and
disrupts other aircraft movements, so is only worth doing if there's a
shortage of gates.

Yes but again with an automated, electrically powered movement system
that might be able to be improved.

Talking of that, there's an awful lot of dead space at airports covered
with grass - could you cover that with solar panels to charge up
batteries to power all those autonomous tugs?

I just always appreciate when I land on a plane late in the evening that
despite the airport being almost done for the day, you always seem to
end up at some remote gate and have a hike to passport control past
plenty of dark gates all with aircraft sat at them that clearly won't be
used for a good number of hours.