Old October 16th 19, 08:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london
tim... tim... is offline

Default Fares Fair fares

"Marland" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/collections/collections-online/posters/item/2007-8697?&apiurl=aHR0cHM6Ly9hcGkubHRtdXNldW0uY28udWsvc G9zdGVycz9zaG9ydD0xJnNraXA9MjkyOCZsaW1pdD00OA==

(click on the image for a bit better quality)

How did one pay for the journey in 1981

almost certainly cash

and what cind of ticket did
you get? Magnetic stripe?

Unfortunately my collection doesn't go back that far

but definitely mag stripe

the question is would that have been a credit card sized ticket or did
they
still have Edmondson sized "Yellow" tickets then?

tim

Fairly sure they were still the yellow card tickets at that time with the
mag stripe on the back,

I can't remember

but did they have a thin stripe on the back

or did the "magnetic "bit cover the whole of the back of the ticket?

a personal recollection to fix the time was a rugby team visit to Paris
and
the Metro was using similar
tickets but instead of one thick oxide stripe there were two thinner
ones,brought one back to London and out of curiosity tried in an LT gate
which as expected rejected it.
The Paris trip organised by Ian Allen travel used a Laker Airways DC 10
and
not too long before DC 10’s had been the subject of several incidents
resulting in them being grounded ,
So that trip must have been between when they were reinstated and Laker
ceasing operations.

Were they actually classed as Edmundson tickets ? I though they were
quite
a bit longer.

surely the deciding factor for Edmondson tickets was that they were
pre-printed with destination leaving date to be stamped on

"Yellow" tickets were printed onto a blank roll and cut to the required
length whilst being issued.

I don't have an LT ticket of the era in my collection, but I do have a Paris
one, and some Edmondson ones from heritage lines

The yellow ticket is the same width and about 8mm longer

and half the thickness (but that's obviously from a requirement for feeding
them through a machine)

tim