Old October 16th 19, 07:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard[_3_] Richard[_3_] is offline

Default Fares Fair fares

On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 16:46:40 +0100, Graeme Wall
wrote:

On 15/10/2019 21:49, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 21:24:43 on Tue, 15 Oct
2019, tim... remarked:

How did one pay for the journey in 1981

almost certainly cash

Definitely! Perhaps the odd cheque...

They were yellow, but somewhat bigger footprint (and none of the
technology of) Edmondson.

Vaguely remember there were some green ones as well.

I think these were from older ticket machines (one per fare!) at
stations without ticket barriers, but other stations issued yellow mag
stripe (more like the whole of the back, and a bit sticky) even when
there were no barriers. The barrier paddles were, er, padded, and
some had a mode, long since disabled, where they would remain open
until anyone tried to go through without a ticket.

Some tickets, like the various rovers, were on larger card, not quite
the same as a credit card, and portrait orientation. I'm not sure
what barriered stations would issue these on, the same presumably.

By the time I was a regular passenger, Cubic had been round drilling
through anything of priceless historic interest and fitted all the
paraphernalia for UTS.

Richard.