Old November 2nd 19, 11:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Marland Marland is offline

Default Orion 769 Flex cargo services into Liverpool St

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:54:27 on Sat, 2 Nov
2019, Marland remarked:

[Aldi]

Unfortunately they have gone up market as they have been discovered and the
packing on the shelf habit is waning

I blame the rise of re-usable shopping bags. The most common scheme I
see deployed is from till into one or more of such bags propped open
inside the trolley. Which is noticeably slower (for the till operator
and the queue) than bunging it all back in the trolley and using the
packing shelf.

We used to not bother with bags at all, just pick up some of the cardboard
packaging that was left in a cage in places, you had to pick carefully as
some was not that strong but others were fine, fill them up on the packing
shelf , wheel to car ,empty at home and tear up cardboard into smaller bits
and put into the compost bin .
Compost likes a bit of browner ,dry material to blend with the greener
sloppy stuff and it was a convenient way to get some.

Though we did it for convenience it was probably more environmentally
friendly than using any style bags
though to be honest we don’t visit any supermarket with any degree of
regularity being in the fortunate position of still having access to
several independent butchers, bakers and grocers and a decent county town
market and a Milkman still delivers 3 times a week.

The middle of lidl aisle sometimes has something useful on offer and it is
when we visit to get something from that we stock up on items like
flour,tinned fish and frozen fish and some other things. Also loo rolls and
cleaning items like bleach but if you have room to store 25l containers the
agricultural supply stores can often beat even lidl and aldi though the
solutions will be unfamiliar names designed to clean and sterilise animal
pen floors or milking equipment. Most need further dilution for house use
which makes them even more economical.

GH