Old November 6th 19, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_4_] Recliner[_4_] is offline

Default Heathrow Express slashes fares (so it says!)

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 20:05:39 on Wed, 6 Nov
2019, remarked:
On Wed, 6 Nov 2019 09:38:02 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 22:16:22 on Sun, 3 Nov 2019,
Recliner remarked:

It's not just tourists and Heathrow workers who have to get to the airport:
plenty of British travellers and savvy foreign travellers use the airport
too. Any of them who have been HEx users will switch to Crossrail when it's
fully open, and not just because it's cheaper. That won't leave enough
premium payers on HEx to keep it viable.

It'll leave all the first-time visitors, which will probably be the

Why would it? I'm sure most of them can read a metro map and will immediately
spot the lines that go to central london and won't much care for the one
that goes to a bears home.

For the reasons I've explained why airport express services are more
attractive than the local commuter services.

majority. Plus all the less confident ones who inherently distrust
foreign commuter services rather than airport expresses.

Can't be many of them.

I think it's a majority. Local commuter services have a poor reputation,
the New York subways being the poster boy.

Remember that HEx and Crossrail will be using the same stations and even
the same platforms at Heathrow. That doesn't happen with local commuter
services.

Someone trying to catch HEx from T4 will actually have to start their
journey on a Crossrail train and change at Central, and perhaps again at
Paddington, rather than just taking a through train. They'll be able to
realise their mistake while looking at the route map on the Crossrail
train. People waiting for a HEx train at Heathrow Central might have to let
a Crossrail service go first, from the same platform. That's not like the
Tube or Gatwick Southern services, which aren't visible from the Express
platforms.

This, of course, will probably lead to confusion between the services: will
people always get on their intended train?