Old November 8th 19, 09:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John Levine[_2_] John Levine[_2_] is offline

Default Heathrow Express slashes fares all over the world

In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
It's vital to your thesis because HEx is catering for the high-end
airline passenger who has probably never visited London before, and just
wants to be spoon-fed an "airport express" service to the city centre.

If you say so, but it's hard to believe their business model assumed
that each passenger will make one trip in his lifetime. I cheerfully
agree that if your destination is near Paddington, HeX is quite handy,
particularly if you or your travel planner are able to think a few
days ahead and book a £15 fixed date return HeX ticket.

Here in the US, the normal thing at an airport is to rent a car, not
to take a taxi.

I think that's a huge stretch for the kind of travellers involved. For
example the first time I flew into Atlanta from the UK for a trade show
in the city centre, a hire car would be a huge liability. As would one
have been to a similar trade show six months later in New York.

If you're just going to downtown Atlanta or anywhere in NYC you're
right, a car is a bad idea. But they are not typical of US cities or
airports. I have visted a friend who lives on the Emory campus at the
north edge of Atlanta. You can get there on MARTA and a bus, but it's
quite slow. A taxi is quite expensive since it takes hour with
traffic, and you'll typically want a car at your destination anyway
since restaurants and such are rarely within walking distance.

--
Regards,
John Levine, , Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",