Old November 25th 19, 08:13 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default Jobsworth driver

Bevan Price wrote:

On 24/11/2019 23:11, Charles Ellson wrote:

In the past you would have got the rough end of the conductor's tongue
if the bus wasn't a decent distance away from the previous stop as it
was effectively treated as equivalent to pulling the alarm on a train.

In plenty of places outside London, you got shouted at by the conductor
if you dared to touch the bell - that was his / her job. It was a bit of
a shock when I started to work in London and found out that I was
expected to ring the bell myself.

Back when all buses used to have conductors, where I come from in
Barnsley, passengers were never supposed to ring the bell
themselves. You were expected to notify the conductor. If they
were upstairs, you had to make your way to the open platform and
shout up the stairs to them.

However, when I was at college in Salford it was expected that
passengers would ring the bell themselves. Forgetting which rule
was in force could be problematic, though I suppose missing your
stop was generally worse than being told off.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1