Old November 28th 19, 05:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Paul Corfield

In message , at 16:04:23 on Thu, 28
Nov 2019, Recliner remarked:

Yes this is very sad, particularly at a fairly young age. I was
wondering why he no longer posted in this forum.

I think he dropped out if here before the illness. I think he may still
have been active elsewhere till about five months ago.

Does anyone know his age? I couldn't locate him on LinkedIn.

The almost most recent posting I have here is July 2018:

TfL press releases, board papers and reports are littered with
such errors. No one bothers to properly proof read this stuff
which means appalling errors are made and then published for the
public to see.

[mode = old git] "Wouldn't have happened in my day"

From about five years ago I got the impression he'd been 'let go'
perhaps prematurely from TfL after a career in ultimately
customer-facing IT (such as Oyster and barriers) and then became an
inveterate critic of the continuing regime.

Such as (and not saying his self-imposed role was right or wrong, but it
was very much his entitlement to do so)

"Something has to give very soon because you can't keep
prioritising Crossrail if it means a newly electrified line
can't use electric trains *and* it may also lose its existing
diesel trains. That is the sort of farce that is almost up there
with the utter, utter shambles that is Thameslink / Great
Northern."

"TfL do produce assessments of broken trips, longer wait times
etc. The only time I've seen one published was for the extensive
New Addington changes 3 years ago. It showed the numbers of
people affected, demand levels, costs and benefits of the
options considered etc. It was genuinely interesting. However
I suspect TfL take the view that the public aren't bothered with
such things or would not understand them. They've not published
one since, sadly. The cynic in me says they don't like to
release too much detail in case it is turned against them by
someone who might spot flaws or inconsistencies in the
assumptions, data or calculations."

"The Hopper fare is being used to justify the loss of many
sections of bus route. Part of the 27 is being lost in
Chiswick, the 224 is being axed in Wembley, the mass of cuts in
and around Oxford St. There are also many more route massacres
on their way. To coin a phrase "you ain't seen nothing yet".
It's an accountant's wet dream as it allows the bus planners to
rip the bus network to bits and leave the passengers (those that
will be left) with the effort of taking multiple buses whereas
today a journey can be done on one bus. One day I shall have
to ask Caroline Pidgeon, who campaigned for the Hopper ticket,
whether she also expected the bus network to be destroyed off
the back of her initiative. Talk about unintended
consequences."