Old November 30th 19, 03:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Colum Mylod Colum Mylod is offline

Default Paul Corfield

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 18:22:03 +0000, Roland Perry

From about five years ago I got the impression he'd been 'let go'
perhaps prematurely from TfL after a career in ultimately
customer-facing IT (such as Oyster and barriers) and then became an
inveterate critic of the continuing regime.

Such as (and not saying his self-imposed role was right or wrong, but it
was very much his entitlement to do so)

I had saved a posting from 4-7-2007 when he was "admitting to working
for LU", where he's objectively (IMHO) critical of some of his
employer's ways, and praising too. No way did he come across as more
harsh afterwards. Very fact-based. He went personal on twitter with
reluctance when his tumour proved nasty.

Enjoy, if that's the term:

***
A non TfL website has quite a lot of info here

http://www.londonbusroutes.net/details.htm

Click on the route number in the big list to bring up the timetable if
one is available. Note TfL no longer officially produce or publish
proper timetables - IMO it's shameful that a private individual is
left
to provide this sort of valuable info for one of the great world
cities.

Depending on how frequent a service then service performance may be
measured either on keeping buses running to the broad frequency (for
what TfL call high frequency routes) or to the scheduled timetable
(for
low frequency routes)

More info here

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/businessan...reports/#faqs2

If my bus service ran every 5 minutes and did so reliably then I
really
wouldn't care about a timetable. However I object to being left to
just
wander to a bus stop to wait up to 12 minutes just because TfL can't
be
bothered to tell me the minutes past the hour a bus runs. Only when
frequencies reach every 15 minutes or less frequently do they put up
the
minutes past the hour at the stop. It is also worth noting that many
bus frequencies are not that high early in the morning or late in the
evening even on trunk routes running from Central London.

I recognise things can go wrong and buses do diverge from the
timetable
and that's fine if I have access to good information to allow me to
make
more informed choices. As I cannot take any decent TfL produced
information with me I have to spend a load of time researching all
possible options before I leave and then scribble them down so if I am
making lots of journeys on unfamiliar services (as I did visiting some
gardens open under the National Garden Scheme the other Sunday). This
is
a pain in the posterior - why can't I just pop to a travel info centre
and ask for the timetable leaflets or buy a timetable book? Strange
that even my least favourite commercial operators outside of London
can
manage to do this relatively easily.

Overall I think the TfL bus network is pretty damn good but the whole
approach to passenger information I cannot stand.

Paul C

***

--
Old anti-spam address cmylod at despammed dot com appears broke
So back to cmylod at bigfoot dot com