Old December 9th 19, 10:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Latest Heathrow master plan

In message , at 09:14:48 on Sun, 8 Dec 2019,
tim... remarked:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 23:53:02 on Sat, 7 Dec
2019, tim... remarked:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

As for money to burn, it started as a toll road, but then got swept
up into a government-funded "shovels ready" project to stimulate
the economy due to the construction jobs created.

And there was me thinking that after the M6T disaster all of the
constriction companies told HMG to "go swivel" when they sounded them
out about taking on the risk of the tolling

The difference with the A14, and why being a toll road was always a
rather dodgy public policy decision, is that it would effectively
have a monopoly on that particular flow, something which could never
have been said about the M6T. Think more like the Dartford Crossing.

AIUI it wasn't suggested as a monopoly as the plan was to have through
traffic tolled, local traffic un-tolled.

That's why I said "effectively". The local traffic routes, while
un-tolled, are largely single carriageway and only suitable for a small
percentage of the through traffic deciding it need to rat-run. And
likely to add half an hour to a ten minute trip.

And the insurmountable problem with that was "how do you construct it
so that it is fair to local traffic without having a non-negligible
volume of through traffic trying to become local traffic and clogging
up the local route, whilst leaving the through route underused".

The half an hour I mention above, mainly. Few people would endure that
twice.