Old January 15th 20, 07:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Marland Marland is offline

Default Front-boarding only for BBs

Peter Able wrote:
On 11/01/2020 17:51, Marland wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:

It's all academic as far as I'm concerned. I refuse to travel on these

We all have our favourite eras often driven by emotion rather than
practical considerations.
Although I was only small when it took place it took me a long time to
like the Routemaster as they had displaced the Trolleybuses I found
fascinating , to me they were just another motorbus though later I got to
learn about their construction being quite advanced.

Ironically, long after the wires came down in Twickenham and, yes, they
were taken down very quickly, the tram rails used to regularly reappear
every summer when the diaphanously thin tar laid over them near
Twickenham Junction used to peel off.

I wonder if it was Twickenham I saw some tram lines on my last London
Trolleybus ride.
My Grandad took me out for a last day of rides on the Trolleys just before
they ceased and we went to the end of the route 667 from Chiswick to
Hampton Court. Normally we never went outwards that our journeys always
being inwards so had not seen any remaining tram lines in the road before.
Though at that time the former Tram depot in between Chiswick and
Hammersmith at that time still had them visible as far as the gate. I think
they were still there when the fleet assigned to BEA link bus duties were
located there a bit later.

As a conductor at Fulwell Garage around 1970, I can state that the RMs
were far more popular with my colleagues than the RT/Regents. The latter
were not that well sprung by then whereas the conductor's position in
the RMs were so much better ride-wise - plus that that position was

I always forget the RT was part of the AEC line, I suppose I was was mainly
thinking about the later Regent Vs which to a pure layman did not look too
dissimilar at first glance especially rear entrance open platform ones
operated by some operators like Southampton.

GH