Old January 16th 20, 09:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Graeme Wall Graeme Wall is offline

Default Front-boarding only for BBs

On 16/01/2020 10:20, wrote:
On 15 Jan 2020 20:17:18 GMT
Marland wrote:
Peter Able wrote:
On 11/01/2020 17:51, Marland wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:

It's all academic as far as I'm concerned. I refuse to travel on these

We all have our favourite eras often driven by emotion rather than
practical considerations.
Although I was only small when it took place it took me a long time to
like the Routemaster as they had displaced the Trolleybuses I found
fascinating , to me they were just another motorbus though later I got to
learn about their construction being quite advanced.

Ironically, long after the wires came down in Twickenham and, yes, they
were taken down very quickly, the tram rails used to regularly reappear
every summer when the diaphanously thin tar laid over them near
Twickenham Junction used to peel off.

I wonder if it was Twickenham I saw some tram lines on my last London
Trolleybus ride.
My Grandad took me out for a last day of rides on the Trolleys just before
they ceased and we went to the end of the route 667 from Chiswick to

I do sometimes wonder what - if anything - was going through the minds of
the people who authorised the destruction of tram and trolleybus systems
around the UK back then to replace them with diesel buses that in those days
were utterly filthy with thick blue-grey and even black smoke coming out of
the exhaust being the norm. I can't help thinking some brown envelopes were
involved at some point.

Cheap option, to replace and repair the time expired equipment after the
war would have been very expensive. Motor buses were plentiful and cheap
with the sudden drop in demand for military vehicles.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.