Old January 25th 20, 05:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Marland Marland is offline

Default Third rail systems return path

wrote:

Not sure an LU train would be much use on 3rd rail tbh

Some of the battery Locos would be fine even when running on power being
drawn , I don’t know which particular ones but because LT/LUL or whoever it
was at the time of ordering was hoping to hire them out for use on
Infrastructure work on 3rd rail equipped National rail lines they were
constructed with the ability to be switched between the two systems.
I don’t know if it has ever taken place though they did at least one rail
tour on ‘Southern’ tracks.

Readers may remember that the Met Loco Sarah Siddons at one time was also
modified to run on third rail and did some tours to the South Coast, at the
time though the traction motors and circuits could cope with the higher
voltage IIRC the braking compressors could not so they were isolated and
braking air came from the older Southern Multiple unit that was coupled to
it.
With the withdrawal of that old stock it was no longer possible.
Sarah Siddons has been overhauled since then but I don’t know if it could
be worked on the third rail,
the recentish moves to Eastleigh Works for various things have seen it
hauled .

GH