Old January 30th 20, 11:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_4_] Recliner[_4_] is offline

Default Dirty air killing 25x as many as car crashes

wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jan 2020 20:09:06 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jan 2020 16:02:19 +0000
Peter Able wrote:
On 27/01/2020 11:26, Recliner wrote:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/d...-more-than-car

-crashes-x09pp52s3?shareToken=1d8301dddec30b9b2a47e85a2ecdb 7d5

Ironic that the article associates particulates with cars when,
nationally, the greater risk will probably be from wood-burning.

PA

It would be interesting to see what the quality of air in a city street and
inside your average hut/house anytime from the neolithic to the 1950s before

the clean air act. I suspect today we're breathing cleaner air than anyone

has
for a few thousand years. And imagine a house before electricity or gas
heated by a wood or coal burning hearth and lit by candles.

Particulates would have been much worse then, but what about NOx?

Don't know. Are wood and coal fires hot enough to create it?

I don't think so. Also, engines create the much more dangerous very small
particulates (PM2.5), whereas wood and coal fires produce the less
dangerous (because they don't penetrate the lungs) larger particulates.

I suspect coal
fires would have released a lot of SO2 though which arguably is worse.

Lots more people seem to get asthma these days.

Indeed, and I'm one of them though not badly. Wish I knew what caused it but
its not city pollution as I get it just as much in the middle of the
countryside.

I think city pollution helped cause it, but other sources can then trigger
it.