Old February 28th 20, 04:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_4_] Recliner[_4_] is offline

Default Motion Sickness

wrote:
On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 12:34:17 +0000
Recliner wrote:
On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 11:45:41 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 11:33:07 +0000
David Cantrell wrote:
On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 10:25:30PM -0000, Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Has anybody noticed how the electric and hybrid busses, particularly the

newer ones, cause motion sickness?
I don't think it's all of them, but some new models do seem to lurch.
That's probably a sign of the immaturity of some drivetrains, rather than
anything intrinsic.

I've not noticed this on buses, perhaps it's only some models on some
routes. But at any rate, it doesn't happen in hybrid cars so you woulda
thunk it was a Solved Problem.

Probably more likely to be the drivers - a lot of london bus drivers seem to
only use 2 throttle positions , zero and maximum. Ditto the brake.

Yes, but the same drivers also drove the previous non-lurching diesel
buses. Some of the new hybrid buses seem to have more sensitive
throttles.

It may be because electric motors have more starting torque. For
example, even quite humble city BEVs have very good acceleration from
zero to about 20mph.

New Routemasters aside (which seem to be generally hopeless in many respects)
I've found that the hybrid buses do take off from a stand much quicker than
a diesel only bus so the electric motor is certainly helping there. I've yet
to travel on a pure battery bus however so can't comment on them.

I've been on battery and hydrogen fuel cell buses and didn't notice any
particular lurchiness.