Old March 30th 20, 02:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Crossrail construction halted

In message , at 11:13:39 on Mon, 30 Mar
2020, Recliner remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:43:51 on Mon, 30 Mar
2020, remarked:

There's nothing the media - particularly the BBC - like to do more than
turn a situation into a crisis then disingenuously claim that they're
only "reporting the facts". They did exactly the same thing with Brexit
with any academic with an axe to grind who was willing to claim that it
would cause food shortages etc being given air time.

We haven't go to the point in the Brexit process where such an outcome
would start to manifest itself. "No Deal", or something approaching it.

The next deadline is supposed to be June, when either the EU decides if
a deal is possible to conclude before the end of December, or UK/EU
agree to an extension.

I think the virus has pretty much halted negotiations. No face-to-face
negotiations are possible, and many of the UK team have been redeployed to
Covid-19 related activities; I'm not sure if the EU team is still
functioning. Some are in self-isolation on both sides, from Cummings
downwards on our side and including M Barnier on the EU side.

The EU insists that the gap is too wide to be bridged other than with
physical meetings. So it's pretty certain that not much will have been
achieved by June.

Sounds very plausible. So who will blink first - Boris agreeing to an
extension, or are we inevitably heading for a Hard (no-deal) Brexit?