Old March 31st 20, 07:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Crossrail construction halted

In message , at 14:10:45 on Mon, 30 Mar
2020, remarked:
On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 11:57:15 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:43:51 on Mon, 30 Mar
2020,
remarked:

There's nothing the media - particularly the BBC - like to do more than
turn a situation into a crisis then disingenuously claim that they're
only "reporting the facts". They did exactly the same thing with Brexit
with any academic with an axe to grind who was willing to claim that it
would cause food shortages etc being given air time.

We haven't go to the point in the Brexit process where such an outcome
would start to manifest itself. "No Deal", or something approaching it.

Thats odd because I distincly remember George Osborne and Mark Carney claiming
the pould would collapse due to massive sell offs in the city and the UK would
be destitute within months going cap in hand to the IMF if we dared vote to
leave back in 2016.

The main thing they got wrong was assuming that the uncertainty caused
by speculators betting on what kind of trade deal we'd have, would kick
in immediately.

And the assumption that by trying to do that trade deal in as little as
two years would result in UK getting a rushed/botched arrangement.
(Rather than the mixed message from Boris/Gove that they wanted a
cake-and-eat-it ultra soft deal [aka BRINO] and the ERG pushing for a
hard exit.)

What actually happened was a masterclass in kicking the can down the
road by Theresa May, with the various attempts to "take no-deal off the
table" meaning there was a suspension of reality, and largely business
as usual.

Now that we know the Boris/Gove deal is a Chimera (well, some always
knew, but a surprisingly large number of people didn't), the prospect of
economic harm still hangs on the thread of when we actually leave, or
slightly more imminent, when we know on what terms we will leave.

And rather than having two years to rush a trade deal, we now have only
a few months. Go figure.