Old April 17th 20, 09:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Robin[_6_] Robin[_6_] is offline

Default Free travel on London busses

On 17/04/2020 17:01, Graham Harrison wrote:
On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 15:25:46 +0100, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

On 17/04/2020 13:44, Recliner wrote:

"Free travel and middle door-only boarding will be temporarily introduced
from Monday to protect drivers and keep passengers safe from the
coronavirus, the operator said in a statement."

This is all very well, but London is one of the few places in the UK
where buses have middle doors, they certainly don't up here. I'm not
sure how many places other than London do, ISTR York does, but it's been
a while since I was last there.

Same here in Somerset on my local buses (which are sometimes high
floor dual use vehicles not pure buses. The double deck park and ride
buses in Bath are also single door (or they were back in early March).

I'm not even sure all London buses have dual doors. I thought I'd seen
some single door single deckers back in January.

There are some single door buses but I'd have thought they could be
rested while operating reduced services - assuming operators can borrow
from others and/or ask other operators to take over pro tem.

--
Robin