Old May 9th 20, 02:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Marland Marland is offline

Default Nice empty tube

tim... wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 15:03:55 on Fri, 8 May 2020,
Roland Perry remarked:
In message , at 14:47:15 on Fri, 8 May
2020, Bryan Morris remarked:

millions of people who were children during WW II would remember what it
was all about, who lost fathers and mothers, who had members of their
families in the armed forces, who remember VE day celebrations, who
remember being bombed or spending nights in shelters.

Anyone who was 12 in 1945 would be fully up to speed with the situation.
So that's 87 or older. Many who were younger than that.

BBC's poster child on the evening news was a lady who was 8yrs old on VE
day.

I was 8 when England won the world cup

I can remember watching the game, but cannot recollect why I was in front of
the TV doing this

I can recall no celebrations afterwards

(were there any)

But it stuck in my memory for some reason

make of that what you wish

tim

I was older at 11 and didn’t have much interest in football but recall the
mascot of the time World Cup Willie ( which sounds like it should be a STD
)everywhere .We hadn’t long moved to the West Country and I got invited
to be part of a group of youngsters who then became the “winning team “
on a Carnival float where I was told I would play the part of Alan Ball.
TBH I wasn’t that enthralled about the experience but it was made tolerable
as the floats and Carnival were assembled in the vicinity of a still
active Halwill Junction though it only had a few more weeks before the Bude
and North Cornwall line to Padstow closed ,the Torrington one had already
gone and the passing trains held my interest more than .
It was soon after then I got to realise that closed when used in reference
to Railways was a permanent thing ,before when I had heard the adults say
the the railway was going to be close I thought it would be like a shop and
open again later.

GH