Old May 9th 20, 04:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Marland Marland is offline

Default Nice empty tube

Graeme Wall wrote:

Anyone who was 12 in 1945 would be fully up to speed with the
situation. So that's 87 or older. Many who were younger than that.

BBC's poster child on the evening news was a lady who was 8yrs old on VE
day.

I can certainly remember heck of a lot things about my surroundings from
when I was about 7 and the odd thing earlier. What I don’t recall is the
political, social reasons for things being what they were.
Eg I remember trolleybuses in London stopping but wasn’t interested or
recall asking explanation why,

I can just remember seeing trams (strictly, a tram) in London, I can't
have been more than 3 years old.

I do have recollections of certain events when I was around that age and
one which must have occurred when I was even younger, one was when I threw
an Umbrella that Mother had hung on my pushchair into Chiswick High Road
and before she could secure the chair and retrieve it a car stopped
and the woman passenger picked it up and sped away. It must be the
unusualness of such events compared to the more mundane that make them
stick though I do remember a lot about our trips out to Kent and Sussex
undertaken in an Austin 7 when I was small but there are annoying gaps, we
occasionally crossed a railway line with a level crossing with no gates
which seemed unusual and once actually saw a train so I think it must have
been part of Kent and East Sussex before it closed
Rye was a regular destination and we used a floating tea shop in an old
boat, I’d love to find out what it was actually called and when it was
removed. My natural father died soon after I was 6 so a lot of the
information he would have been able to fill in on such things went with
him.

GH